Fast fashion

“Important Facts That You Should Know About The Fast Fashion Industry.”

Cloth shopping is certainly an occasional event- something that used to happen a couple of times a year when the seasons changed, or once we outgrew what we had. However, about 20 years ago, something changed. The fabrics became cheaper, trend cycles sped up, and shopping became a hobby. Then, there entered the fast fashion which dominated society and our online shopping carts. Sooner, everyone was ready to dress like their favorite celebrity or wear the latest trend fresh from the catwalk. But hold a moment, what exactly is that this fast fashion and the way is it killing our planet in every possible way? So, let’s explore this new buzz in our today’s blog.

Fast fashion industry
Source: Green Matters

What is a fast fashion?

As investopedia defines,

“Fast fashion” may be a term employed by fashion retailers to explain inexpensive designs that move quickly from the catwalk to stores to satisfy new trends. As a result of this trend, the tradition of introducing new fashion lines on a seasonal basis is being challenged. Today, it’s not uncommon for fast-fashion retailers to introduce new products multiple times during a single week to remain on-trend.”

Fixing fashion and our planet

This modern fashion utilizes trend replication, rapid production, and inferiority materials to bring inexpensive styles to the general public. It certainly plays into the thought that outfit repeating may be a fashion gaffe, which if you would like to remain relevant, you’ve to sport the newest looks as they happen. So, contributing the main a part of overproduction and consumption. Thus making the style industry one among the most important polluters of the planet.


How to spot a fast fashion brand?

Some of the prominent key factors for identifying any fast fashion brands are:

  • Thousand of designs pertaining to all the newest trends.
  • Extremely short turnaround between a trend on the catwalk and when it hits the shelves.
  • Offshore manufacturing where labor is that the cheapest, also as poor visibility between different tiers.
  • Limited quantity of a selected garment; an initiative pioneered by Zara.
  • Cheap, inferiority dress materials that degrade with a couple of uses.

Fashion Industry’s Impact On The Environment


It’s not just the wardrobes of the people the style Industry is messing up, it’s also the environment. Here are a couple of samples of what impact the Fast Fashion apparel industry has on the environment:

  • 150 Billion garments are produced annually and a couple of .5 billion pounds of cloth is wasted per annum.
  • 60% of the clothing that folks own has increased from 2000 to 2014.
  • The Fast apparel industry is liable for 10% of the worldwide carbon footprint within the world.
  • Clothing is recyclable but the amount of clothing owned by us is far quite we will recycle!
  • China has been a top destination for recycled textiles. It’s now officially banned recycling textiles.
  • On the opposite hand, North America also has banned textile wastes from the landfills. Only 15% of the clothing is went through recycling in America and therefore the remainder of the 85% clothing finishes up in landfills.
  • One among the foremost popular fabrics is Polyester which springs from fossil fuels that contribute to heating. When the material is put through a wash, it increases the extent of plastic within the oceans because it can shed microfibers.

Just a Reality Check:

Fast fashion facts

Fashion Industry is the second largest water pollutant within the world.


Toxic chemicals that are precursors to dye clothes are liable for cancer and deaths.



All of the weather of fast fashion—trend replication, rapid production, inferiority, competitive pricing—add up to having an outsize impact on the environment and therefore the people involving in its production.

The environmental damage, which the style industry continues to make, is in large part thanks to fast fashion. Brands like Forever21 use toxic chemicals, dangerous dyes, and artificial fabrics that seep into water supplies in foreign countries where the clothing is formed and reception where the clothing is washed.

Each year, the clothing that’s simply thrown away amounts to about 11 million tons within the US alone…


Fast fashion’s carbon footprint is giving huge industries like aviation and oil a run their money.”


So, what can we do?

We believe in the words of Vivienne Westwood, a British designer that is to mention, “Buy less, choose well, make it last.”

We hope the article above helps you create a choice and help the environment also. Please allow us to know within the comments section about your thoughts on how briskly fashion is ruining our world and what would you wish to try to about it.



Connect here
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments