You will probably be in a state of confusion about what is a GST(Goods and service tax), GST return, how to calculate it, who should file a GST return. Don’t worry you will get a clear idea after reading this. The problem of asking someone else will be solved after reading this blog.
What is GST
GST is known as goods and service tax. The government of India mainly introduced the GST to replace the multiple taxes and have a single tax system. GST has replaced several indirect taxes. on 1st July 2017, the Goods and Service Tax Act came into effect. In other words, GST is imposed on the supply of goods and services. Goods and Services Tax Law in India is a comprehensive, multi-stage, destination-based tax that is imposed on every value addition. GST is a single domestic indirect tax law for the entire country.
Components of GST
The three taxes that are applicable under this system are CGST(Central Goods and Service Tax), SGST(State Goods and Service Tax), and IGST( Integrated Goods and Service Tax).
1. The tax collected by the Central Government on an intra-state sale is known as CGST
2.The tax collected by the state government on an intra-state sale is known as SGST
3.The tax collected by the Central Government for an inter-state sale is known as IGST
GST Registration Online
- Firstly go to the GST Portal( click here: gst.gov.in)
- Then produce a Temporary Registration Number(TRN) by Completing the necessary OTP (One-time password)Validation
- The next step is the OTP Verification & TRN Generation
- After that, the TRN will be Generated
- The next step is to Log in with TRN
- Then Submit your Business Information
- After that Submit Promoter Information
- Then Submit Authorized Signatory Information
- The applicant shall provide the details of the principal place of business
- An Additional Place of Business(if you are an e-commerce dealer and uses the seller’s warehouse you can add that)
- Then add the details of Goods and Services
- After that mention the Details of the Bank Account of the applicant
- Then there is a Verification of Application
- Finally, the Application Reference Number (ARN) is generated
What is GST return
If you are a business owner or taxpayer, you must announce the income that you get in your GST returns. GST returns is nothing but a document that will have all the details of your sales, purchases, tax collected on sales (output tax), and tax paid on purchases (input tax). just assume that you file your GST returns, now you will need to pay the resulting tax liability (the money that you need to pay the government).
Who should file GST return
As per the nature of the individual business or transactions that they do, all business owners and dealers who have registered under the GST system must file GST returns. In the GST regime, any regular business has to file 2 monthly returns and one yearly return. This adds to a total of 26 returns in a year. For those who fill GSTR-1 the number of returns can vary. The number of online GST filings online for GSTR – 1 is 17 annually. The number of GST returns to be filed will be based on the type of taxpayer, such as regular taxpayer, composition dealer, e-commerce operator, TDS deductor, non-resident taxpayer, Input Service Distributor(ISD), etc
GST is hoping to bring transparent and corruption-free tax administration, removing the current shortcomings in the indirect tax structure. So after this blog, you will get a clear idea of what GST and a GST return is.
- The doctrine of Precedents or Article 141 - December 11, 2020
- All you need to know about Different types of GST returns - December 11, 2020
- Banking: History and its importance - December 11, 2020